Current Situation Overview
Daniel J. Lewis is a computer scientist and engineering mathematician, currently researching and developing towards a PhD by research in Engineering Mathematics at the University of Bristol. He works within the Intelligent Systems Laboratory at Bristol, and is funded through an EPSRC Industrial CASE studentship in collaboration with British Telecom R&D. Daniel started his PhD research in September 2012, and is due for completion in September 2015. Since October 2012, Daniel has also been a trained Teaching Assistant in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Bristol, and has helped to teach Database technology and C Programming.
Daniel holds a BSc(Hons) degree in Intelligent Systems and Software Engineering from Oxford Brookes University. He has a number of years experience in industry, part of which as under employment and part of which self-employed. He has held titles such as "Senior Software Developer", "Web Developer", "Semantic Web / Linked Data Consultant", "Technology Evangelist" and "Analyst Developer". In May 2011 he became a Journeyman of the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists, a Livery Company of the City of London, where he is being mentored about careers in information technology and telecommunications.
Daniel has interests (academic and/or professional) in a number of areas, in the computer science and engineering world this includes:
- Fuzzy Set Theory (and related topics such as Fuzzy Logic, multi-valued set theories and uncertainty reasoning systems)
- Association Rule Mining and Sequence Mining
- Formal Concept Analysis and Concept Lattices
- Linked Data and the Semantic Web
- Spatial and Temporal Logic
- Open Data and Open Knowledge
- Knowledge Engineering
- Free and Open Source Software
- Artificial Intelligence
- Natural Language Processing
- Digital Humanities
Academic Papers and Reports
(Academic) Conference Papers:
- D. Lewis and T. Martin, 'The X-mu fuzzy association rule method', in 2013 13th UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence (UKCI), Guildford, Surrey, 2013.
- 2015 (in progress) PhD: Lewis, D.J. "Title TBA"
- 2007 BSc(Hons): Lewis, D.J., "Adding Semantics to Social Web Tagging Systems". March 2007, Oxford Brookes University. (Undergraduate Report)
(Professional) EU Project Reports:
- 2012: Lewis, D.J., Wainwright, M., et al. LOD2 D9.3.2 – Guide and Best Practices Brochure (31st August 2012)
- 2012: Lewis, D.J., et al. LOD2 D9.4 – Use Case 3: LOD2 for Citizen - PublicData.eu (31st August 2012)
(Informal) Magazine Articles:
- 2012: Lewis, D.J., "Using PHP Data Objects". Issue 231 of .net Magazine (Future Publishing)
- 2011: Lewis, D.J., "Starting to use ODBC with PHP". May 2011 . IBM developerWorks article.
- 2010: Lewis, D.J., "Efficient mathematical processing using Scilab through PHP". March 2010. IBM developerWorks featured article.
- 2008: Lewis, D.J., "Building Semantic Web CRUD operations using PHP". November 2008. IBM developerWorks featured article.
- 2008: Lewis, D.J., "Intelligent Agents and the Semantic Web". October 2008. IBM developerWorks featured article.
- 2006: Lewis, D.J., "What is Web 2.0", Crossroads ACM Student Magazine. Autumn 2006.
- 2012 (October): Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. University of Bristol
- 2009: 40 Postgraduate Credits for study into Machine Learning and Data Mining. University of Bristol.
- 2003-2007: BSc(Hons) in Intelligent Systems and Software Engineering, Oxford Brookes University. Grade 2:1 with a double A grade for final year project titled "Adding Semantics to Social Web Tagging Systems."
- 2012 (Summer): Linked Data Consultant and Data Wrangler - Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN)
- 2010-2012: Self-Employed ( Web Development / Linked Data Consultancy / Writing) - clients included Atchai, Tweetminster and OpenLink Software. Plus writing articles for .net Magazine and IBM developerWorks.
- 2011-2012: Web Developer @ Helastel Ltd, Bristol (UK).
- 2009-2010: Web Developer @ SiftMedia, Bristol (UK).
- 2007-2008: Technology Evangelist @ OpenLink Software, International.
- 2007: Web Developer @ Curverider/Elgg, Oxfordshire (UK).
- 2007: Web Developer & Systems Administrator @ Lovell Johns, Oxfordshire (UK).
- 2006 (Summer): Visiting Researcher @ Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University, Milton Keynes (UK).
- 2005-2006: Analyst Developer @ Lifecycle Software, Berkshire (UK).
- 2004 (Summer): Systems Administrator @ Electronic Solutions (now known as The Hub Plus), London (UK)
Systems and Software Skills
- Most recently used programming/scripting languages:
- Other familiar programming/scripting languages
- Query languages
- Document & Data Languages
- Operating Systems
- Other systems worth noting
Academic & Professional Society Memberships
2013-14: Semester 2 (University of Bristol):
- Assistant Lecturer & Teaching Assistant for COMS11500: Introduction to C. (Lab Assistance & Leading, Forum Administration and Coursework Marking)
2013-14: Semester 1 (University of Bristol):
- Senior Teaching Assistant for COMS20700: Databases
2013: Summer (University of Bristol)
- Headstart Session Leader. One-tutor-to-60-something-students seminar leading in engineering mathematics (with focus on intelligent systems). Widening Participation.
2012-13: Semester 2 (University of Bristol):
- Teaching Assistant for COMS20700: Databases. (Database Labs & a lecture on Semantic Web and Linked Data)
2012-13: Semester 1 (University of Bristol):
- Teaching Assistant for COMS11500: Introduction to C. (C Programming Labs, C Programming Surgery and Coursework Marking)
- Teaching Assistant for AENG11600: Design and Computing. (C Programming Labs)